Small business is the backbone of neighborhood vibrancy and flavor. Indie stores offer not only unique items, often times local/handmade, USA made, and a shopping experience that is more personal than buying from a rack full of shirts that have been reproduced 10,000 times. Shopping local does so much for your community as well- retaining local vibrancy, community investment, keeps rent costs affordable (landlords increase rent tenfold when a chain is interested- but hey! they can afford it so who cares about the rest!) Over the past few years, as online shopping has become common place and big box stores offer discount shopping at an absurd rate, while still making billion dollar profits, we have watched the disappearing act of locally owned shops. So keep these details in mind next time you say to yourself- Our town is so great! It won't stay that way unless you support it.
When you shop at an independently-owned business, your entire community benefits:
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
I am happy to support local companies by not only shopping with them but promoting them on my website. If you are looking for a unique shopping experience or great ideas of things to do with your kids check out the list below.